I have conducted research on the nature of stigma as it relates to ethnic identity. That work examined the experiences of students of color in specific contexts (for example, predominantly-White academic institutions). In addition, I have conducted research on anti-Arab/anti-Muslim prejudice. I am currently researching the role of ethnicity and ethnic identity in romantic partner preferences and also research on the relationship between religious and ethnic identities.
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Intergroup Relations
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Self and Identity
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Britt, T. W., Boniecki, K. A., Vescio, T. K., Biernat, M., & Brown, L. M. (1996). Intergroup anxiety: A person X situation approach. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 22, 1177-1187.
- Brown, L. M. (1998). Ethnic stigma as a contextual experience: A possible selves perspective. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 24, 163-172.
- Brown, L.M., Awad, G.H., Preas, E.J., Allen, V., Kenney, J., Roberts, S., & Lusk, L.B. (2013). Investigating prejudice towards men perceived to be Muslim: Cues of foreignness versus phenotype. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 43, E237–E245.
- Brown, L. M., Boniecki, K. A., & Walters, A. M. (2004). Intergroup flexibility and people's views of African Americans. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 28, 373-398.
- Brown, L. M., Bradley, M. M., & Lang, P. J. (2006). Affective reactions to pictures of ingroup and outgroup members. Biological Psychology, 71, 303-311.
- Brown, L. M., & Dobbins, H. (2004). Students' of color and European American students' stigma-relevant perceptions of university instructors. Journal of Social Issues, 60, 157-174.
- Brown, L. M., & Johnson, S. D. (1999). Ethnic consciousness and its relationship to conservatism and blame among African Americans. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 29, 2465-2480.
- Brown, L. M., & Lopez, G. E. (2001). Political contacts: Analyzing the role of similarity in theories of prejudice. Political Psychology, 22, 279-292. [Special issue entitled "Psychology as politics"]
- Brown, L. M., McNatt, P. S., & Cooper, G. D. (2003). Ingroup romantic preferences among Jewish and non-Jewish White undergraduates. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 27, 335-354.
- Malamuth, N. M., & Brown, L. M. (1994). Sexually aggressive men's perceptions of women's communications: Testing three explanations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 67, 699-712.
- Brown, L. M. (1998). Subjectivity and practice: Stereotyping and other results of imposed perspective. In W. M. Parker (Ed.), Consciousness-raising: A primer for multicultural counseling (2nd ed.) (pp. 123-145). Springfield, IL: C. C. Thomas.
- Leach, C. W., & Brown, L. M. (1999). Ethnicity and identity politics. In L. Kurtz (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Violence, Peace, and Conflict (pp. 765-775). San Diego: Academic Press.
- Cultural Psychology
- Environmental Psychology
- General Psychology
- Graduate Proseminar in Social Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Psychology of Human Sexuality
- Research Methods in Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Social Psychology and Human Diversity
- Stigma and Prejudice
- Stigma and the Self
- The Color of Love: "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" and Beyond
Lisa M. Brown
Department of Psychology
900 N. Grand Avenue
Sherman, Texas 75090-4400
- Phone: (904) 813-2218
- Fax: (904) 813-2477